Wednesday, April 27, 2005

In my search for a tablet PC

I was watching this platform since a few month already, and I knew it was really the perfect tool to run my futur business. I'm not fond of paper, I just tend to leave those paper notes where they are, and this I know that, I tend not to take notes at all (which is bad). The TabletPC look like the perfect platform for me in the convertible format, I can do everything I need on it and much more.
The First tablet I looked at was the Acer C302Xmi, Big screen, lotsa power, but kinda heavy (2.8kg), oh and cheap (not that rich at the moment). I think I was really ready to buy it. The thing is, my current laptop, a old Dell Inspiron 8000, great machine if you ask me, one of the first one with a 3D chip on it, big 15" screen, I really enjoyed it and 4 years later, it's still here but it's now showing signs of weakness. It just shutdown sometimes if I move it or something, and after that it's a pain in tha ass to power it on again, need to press it everywhere, I haven't realised what the heck is broken yet... Nevermind, I just can't go to a business meeting with it, if it shut down, I'm dead. I haven't created my business yet so I don't really have the funds for a new one, but hoppefully, I find a sponsor in my familly, so I had quite a nice budget to seek a new laptop/tablet :)

SInce that, I ditched the Acer in the search for something better and smaller. I was quite impressed with the new HP TC4200, it look good and has most of the features I want except an optical drive. It's the next gen centrino, so I find this is good, but it's not really avalaible here in France at the moment and still, it's kinda expensive though. My other tablet of interest was the famous Toshiba M200, it's been out for a while and has some great features like 1400x1050 screen and a 3D chip. I don't know why, but here it's way too expensive whereas I've seen in the states it's cheap as dirt (little more that $1000 I've seen, here it's like $3500). Couldn't find it for cheap really, could have gone to switzerland or so, but I don't like all this hassle. I'm a big fan of Eric Mack (blog) and I followed his quest for a tablet aventure as well. His choice was the Fujitsu T4010, haven't really heard about that one before, but I had a look at it. This Beast has all the features I wanted, even an optical drive and around 2 Kg (4lb), Bluetooth, wifi, big HD, DVD burner, you name it ... After a search for shop in France, I realised this one was quite available and the price was OK. So I found a nice setup for me for busiboutique.com, choosed the best model available (unfortunatly we can't have SXGA screens here) and a few accessories and BAM passed the order. Won't have it soon, cause those machines are custom build, should be something like 3 weeks to get it. I CAN'T WAIT.


Here's the Specs I ordered :
- Centrino 1.8 Ghz
- 1024 mo Ram
- DVD multi burner
- Wifi, Bluetooth
- 80 Gb, 5400 tr/min HD
- 12" Screen 1024x768
- Docking station
- Extra Battery (for full day on battery)

You can be sure I'll keep you informed when I'll receive this little baby ;)